US cruise operator Carnival Corporation has seen a drop in its second quarter net income, despite a rise in revenues.U.S. GAAP net income for the quarter was USD 451 million, as opposed to USD 561 million from the second quarter of 2018.In the second quarter ended May 31, 2019, Carnival’s total revenues were USD 4.8 billion, compared to the USD 4.4 billion from the same period a year before. “Second quarter earnings included revenue growth from higher capacity and improved onboard spending, more than offset by a drag from fuel and currency compared to the prior year,” Arnold Donald, Carnival Corporation & plc President and Chief Executive Officer, said.Gross cruise costs including fuel per available lower berth day (ALBD) increased by 9.6 percent, the company elaborated.Looking ahead, Carnival expects expects full year 2019 adjusted earnings per share to be in the range of USD 4.25 to USD 4.35. Unfavorable impacts are expected to come from the technical issues affecting the cruising speed of Panama-flagged Carnival Vista, which forced the company to extend a number of the ship’s sailings. The issues affected the ship’s schedule in June and will extend into July.Carnival also expects the US administration’s Cuba travel ban to have a negative impact of USD 0.04 to USD 0.06 per share.“While the company was able to quickly adjust its itineraries to provide guests with attractive alternative vacation experiences, the suddenness of the regulatory change to this high yielding destination has led to a near-term impact on revenue yields,” the cruise operator said.“This year, our growth has been hampered by a confluence of events, which we are focused on mitigating,” Donald added.
The association says the comments of Sport Ireland Chairman Kieran Mulvey and Cheif executive John Treacy were “unhelpful, highly questionable and disingenuous”.IABA Chairman Joe Christle says they still don’t know why Walsh resigned and as far as he was concerned the deal had been agreed and the Wexford man would remain on.Sport Ireland and the IABA will appear before the Joint Committee on Transport and Communications to discuss the recent controversy next Wednesday.
Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco MOVE THEY COULD MAKERealmuto would have been the ideal upgrade at catcher. But the Dodgers remained stubborn in their trade talks with the Marlins and could not satisfy them with trade alternatives not built around Cody Bellinger or Ruiz. If Martin and Barnes do not show improvement offensively, the Dodgers could be shopping for catching help on the in-season market. The options won’t be good and Smith’s arrival might have to be accelerated.Related Articles Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error As the Dodgers head toward the first workout of spring training on Wednesday, we are providing breakdowns of how they stand with their roster by position groups. Today is the final installment, looking at the catchers. Previously, the starting rotation, bullpen, infield and outfield.2018 RECAPHeading into spring training a year ago, there was reason to believe Austin Barnes would take the lead role from Yasmani Grandal. That didn’t happen – until October. With free agency looming, Grandal had an excellent regular season, producing offensively at an elite level at a position that league-wide offers little production. He led all National League catchers in home runs (24) and on-base percentage (.349) and was second in slugging percentage (.466) and OPS (.815). But a second consecutive postseason slump followed, this time including a historic defensive breakdown – in Game 1 of the NLCS, he became the first catcher in postseason history to have two passed balls and two errors in the same game. Barnes, meanwhile, regressed badly at the plate. After batting .289 with an .895 OPS in 2017, he hit just .205 with a .619 OPS in 2018.HOW IT LOOKS RIGHT NOWAmong the suitors for Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto all winter, the Dodgers instead traded for Russell Martin as a fallback option, putting a former Dodgers hero back in blue for the second consecutive winter. Martin (who will turn 36 on the third day of spring workouts) is coming off the worst offensive season of his career. He had career lows in batting average (.194) and OPS (663) in 90 games with the Blue Jays last season and both numbers have declined each season since 2014. The Dodgers believe he still has value defensively and in the clubhouse. Between Martin and Barnes, however, the dropoff offensively from the catching position in 2019 could be steep.THE NEXT LAYERThe Dodgers are justifiably proud of their cache of catching prospects. Keibert Ruiz is the 20th-ranked prospect in the minors among all positions, according to Baseball America. Former first-rounder Will Smith is also a top 100 prospect by most rankings. Teenager Diego Cartaya and Connor Wong are also highly regarded. The Dodgers have resisted the temptation to trade one or more of the prospects so far. But only Smith is anywhere near the majors. He could debut at some point in 2019. If injury hits Martin or Barnes before Smith is ready, Rocky Gale and Josh Thole will be plugged in from Triple-A.