adfwafoe

U.S./NATO attacks on Gaddafi brought today’s horrors

first_imgRally organizer Nino Brown addresses crowd outside the Massachusetts State House expressing solidarity with the people of Libya, Dec. 9.Anti-imperialists and revolutionaries gathered outside the Massachusetts State House on Dec. 9 to express solidarity with the people of Libya and decry the U.S. ruling class’s lead role in creating the horrific developments now unfolding there.The rally and speakout were called by the Answer Coalition of Boston and supported by Workers World Party.Before NATO intervention in Libya, the country was prospering. It had a robust system of public education and health care. It was financing development projects throughout Africa and the Middle East. But Muammar Gaddafi’s government was a threat to NATO and to Europe.By providing the tools to develop Africa and pursuing a socialized economic plan in development, Gaddafi was showing the world that there is an alternative to total reliance on the U.S. and Europe. He was showing the world that there is an alternative to capitalism and ­imperialism.Activists must oppose imperialist war at any cost. When the U.S. State Department demonizes a nation and says, “We will destroy you, or annihilate your government” — the working-class movement has to be on the opposite side of these warmongers. We need to be yelling at the top our lungs: “No to war on Libya! No to war on Venezuela! No to war on Syria! No to war on People’s Korea!”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

gcjifzol

“We Will Allow”: CJI Bobde On Siddique Kappan’s Mother’s Plea To Meet Him Via Video Conferencing;”I will Take Care”, Says SG

first_imgTop Stories”We Will Allow”: CJI Bobde On Siddique Kappan’s Mother’s Plea To Meet Him Via Video Conferencing;”I will Take Care”, Says SG LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK22 Jan 2021 12:08 AMShare This – xThe Solicitor General assured the Court that the Government will take care of the same.The Supreme Court on Friday adjourned for six weeks the habeas corpus petition filed by Kerala Union of Working Journalists seeking the release of scribe Siddique Kappan, who has been under custody since October 5 last year since his arrest by the UP Police while he was proceeding to report the Hathras crime.Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the UP Government, sought…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Supreme Court on Friday adjourned for six weeks the habeas corpus petition filed by Kerala Union of Working Journalists seeking the release of scribe Siddique Kappan, who has been under custody since October 5 last year since his arrest by the UP Police while he was proceeding to report the Hathras crime.Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the UP Government, sought adjournment, which was not opposed by Senior Advocate Kapil Sibal, who appeared for KUWJ,Sibal however sought permission to allow the nonagenarian mother of interact Kappan via video conferencing.Kappan’s lawyer, Senior Advocate Kapil Sibal, informed the Court that the Jail Rules do not allow Video Conferencing. He submitted that whereas the Government is seeking to adjourn the matter till next week, Kappan continues to languish in Jail and his 90-years old mother is struggling to see his son. Sibal submitted that though the trial court had allowed video conferencing but subject to the jail rules.”Mother of Kappan wants to have a video conferencing with him. She is over 90. Court says subject to jail rules. But jail rules do not allow VC,” he said.Sibal added that the mother is mostly unconscious and whenever she gains consciousness, she seeks for his son’s presence.The Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the UP Government, assured the Court that he will take care of the request.”Leave it to me”, the SG told the bench. Delete Kapil Sibal @KapilSibal : Mother of Kappan wants to have a video conferencing with him. She is over 90. Court says subject to jail rules. But jail rules do not allow VC.CJI : We will allow.SG : Leave it to me. I will take care of that.— Live Law (@LiveLawIndia) January 22, 2021 At this juncture, a Bench led by CJI SA Bobde said that it will allow the request for video conferencing. The Solicitor General thereafter assured the Court that the Government will take care of the same.Meanwhile, the matter is adjourned till next Monday, on a request made by the Solicitor General.The development relates to a habeas corpus petition filed by Kerala Union of Working Journalists seeking the release of Siddique Kappan, arrested last year for alleged criminal conspiracy to create societal unrest in the wake of Hathras incident. The stringent provisions of anti-terror legislation Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and sedition were invoked against Kappan and others.Earlier, the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Mathura had rejected an interim application filed by the KUWJ seeking permission for regular VC meetings of Kappan with his family members and lawyers.It is also significant to note that the KUWJ had alleged that Kappan was prevented from meeting any lawyer and signing a vakalatnama for authorising his counsel. “The visit of Advocate Wills Mathews, requesting for a meeting with the accused in Jail on 16.10.2020 can be proved by cross checking it with the video recordings of the Jail premises,” the KUWJ had said in its affidavit. The organization had also claimed that Kappan was tortured in custody and had sought for a judicial enquiry by a retired judge into the journalist’s arrest.The UP Govt has filed a counter-affidavit saying that Kappan had links with banned organizations and was attempting to create social unrest in the wake of Hathras Case. The FIR against him has provisions under the UAPA.Subsequently, the KUWJ filed an additional rejoinder denying Kappan’s connections with Popular Front of India (PFI). The KUWJ stated that Kappan, as a journalist, has strong roots in society, and may have come in contact with people from all walks of life, including the PFI, and that does not mean that he is a criminal. In any case, PFI is not a banned organization, the rejoinder stated.The CJI-led bench has on many posting dates expressed disinclination to entertain the petition, asking the petitioner to approach the High Court. “We are trying to discourage Article 32 petitions”, CJI said on one posting date.Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more

psskmrcg

Gov. Wolf Continues Effort to Secure Critical Infrastructure Funding

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Press Release,  Restore Pennsylvania Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf continued to work to secure critical infrastructure funding for Pennsylvania’s communities. He was joined by state and local leaders on a tour of blighted properties in Millersburg to highlight how Restore Pennsylvania will aid in the area and revitalize communities. The massive rebuilding plan funded through a commonsense severance tax will help commonwealth communities address blight, expand broadband access, mitigate the effects of localized flooding, and expand green infrastructure.“I have yet to visit a community that would not benefit greatly from the Restore Pennsylvania proposal,” said Governor Wolf. “That is why this proposal makes sense and municipal leaders across the commonwealth are publicly endorsing this critical infrastructure improvement plan.”Restore Pennsylvania will invest $4.5 billion over the next four years in significant high-impact projects throughout the commonwealth to help catapult Pennsylvania ahead of every state in the country in terms of technology, development, and infrastructure.Last week, Millersburg Borough passed a resolution publicly endorsing Restore Pennsylvania.“Millersburg Borough Council applauds Governor Wolf’s efforts to assist local municipalities across Pennsylvania with grant funding targeted at reinvigorating our communities,” said Christopher Dietz, President, Millersburg Borough Council. “The steadfast will and grit of our local leaders can move mountains, but without adequate funding, even the best laid plans remain dormant on the drawing board. Restore Pennsylvania will provide much needed funding that will help our community projects leap off the page and into reality!”Later today, the governor will join city and county officials on a tour of blighted properties in Shamokin and discuss how Restore Pennsylvania will assist Northumberland County in its attack on blighted and vacant buildings.“Blighted properties throughout our communities are threatening the health and safety of our residents and decreases the property values of our neighborhoods,” said Edward Christiano, Executive Director, Housing Authority of Northumberland County. Blight remediation has become a critical topic throughout Pennsylvania. With the aid of our local elected legislators and the governor’s administration we have found some financial resources to stop the bleed, but more funding is needed to truly improve our infrastructure.”View the full Restore Pennsylvania plan. April 03, 2019center_img Gov. Wolf Continues Effort to Secure Critical Infrastructure Fundinglast_img read more

gmfihoek

Syracuse loses fourth straight game, 101-90, in double overtime at No. 23 Florida State

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — With no true point guard and all eyes fixated on Tyus Battle, two defenders swarmed the Syracuse star. There was no room to move. Battle played all of regulation and all but 24.6 seconds of both overtimes, pouring every ounce he had into a game- and career-high 37 points to pace the Orange.A 10-second rule was called because Syracuse could not get the ball across mid-court. The Seminoles drilled their 11th 3-pointer of the game on their next possession, paving the path for a late surge to separate themselves from the Orange in the second overtime on Saturday afternoon.In Syracuse’s first multi-OT game since the Connecticut six-OT game in the 2009 Big East Tournament, Florida State launched from deep and brought an offensive attack Syracuse (12-6, 1-4) has not seen this season. Sagging to protect the rim comes with a risk — an open perimeter — and the Seminoles converted on 11 3-pointers. When the Orange stretched out to defend 3s, the Seminoles (13-4, 2-3) worked inside with their considerable size, winning 101-90 at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center and handing SU its fourth straight loss.“That was a good effort,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said, noting that SU overcame a 10-point deficit out of the break. “Tremendous effort … we played well and we’re playing better on offense.”The SU defense was strong early, but the offense was inflammable. They swapped in the second half and much of overtime, as Battle exploded for drives, 3-pointers and an array of versatility to make it a game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAt the end of regulation, Battle drilled a 3-pointer from the right wing with six seconds left. It sent the game into overtime, the score even at 74, and silenced a previously raucous home crowd. He scored 22 points in the second half and added 10 more in the overtime periods. Battle is SU’s leading scorer, who lifted SU to a win at Georgetown a month ago with two late 3-pointers in an overtime thriller. Saturday, with starting point guard Frank Howard fouled out and no other consistent scoring option, Battle put SU on his back.“I was playing too fast, they were speeding me up,” Battle said. “In the second half, I just slowed down, saw the floor, stayed aggressive.“Just little mistakes that lost us the game. Defensive errors, defensive breakdowns. I let their guys get wide open corner 3s.”What followed many of Battle’s scoring plays was an FSU answer. The high-scoring Seminoles knew how they would beat Syracuse, even without their leading scorer in junior Terance Mann.Shoot the 3.The Seminoles take more 3s per game than any team in the conference and they entered Saturday with the 29th-best scoring offense in the country, averaging nearly 84 points per game. They were held to only 31 points in the first half. But the goal was to beat SU via the 3, and they stuck to their gameplan. FSU shot 11-for-32 from deep.Despite Battle’s outing and the fact that four SU players reached double figures, the Syracuse offense could not keep pace. It was a close game, but Syracuse is stuck in neutral, held back by few scoring options, lethargy and a bevy of turnovers. The Orange committed 19, and FSU turned those into 31 points.At point guard, Howard scored 13 points and dished out five assists before fouling out late in regulation. He was subdued post-game, but he extracted the positive from Syracuse’s 90-point offensive outburst.“We played well, moved the ball a lot better in the second half,” Howard said. “We got some driving lanes. I think we’re starting to find our niche on the offensive end.”It may have come at a convenient time. The Orange’s near upset win could provide Syracuse a momentum boost at a needed time. For one, it was a near a road win against a ranked opponent, something that eluded the program last season. It would have snapped a three-game skid, as well, and the victory represents how formidable the Syracuse defense can be.The Orange will return home Tuesday for Pittsburgh (8-10, 0-5), the worst team in the ACC. Boston College follows, and the Orange is predicted to win each of its next four games, according to Kenpom.com.It may not be time to panic just yet, considering Syracuse started conference play 0-4 two years ago, when the Orange went dancing all of the way to the Final Four. But SU’s fourth straight loss is significant and it will take a strong next month and a half of play to dig itself out of this hole and earn an NCAA Tournament berth.“It’s five games. Who cares?” Boeheim said. “You got a whole season, 14 games left. Who cares? It doesn’t matter. We had a tough start, three tough road games. If we lost them by 10 or 12, I’d be really worried. We had a really good chance to win two of the three.” Comments Published on January 13, 2018 at 5:28 pm Contact Matthew: [email protected] | @MatthewGut21last_img read more