Long Snapper Jon Dorenbos announced an Eagles’ daft pick last night in Philadelphia. Jon will be in Ocean City performing his magic show at the Music Pier on May 13th. By Tim Kelly Myles Garrett, a defensive end from Texas A&M, may be the first overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, but make no mistake about it: the main star of the draft, which kicked off Thursday night and continues through tomorrow, is the city of Philadelphia.Ocean City resident Billy Schweim, whose ESPN 97.3 radio talk show can be heard Saturday mornings from 10 a.m. to 12 noon, said Philadelphia allowed the NFL to make its draft a bigger event than some other sports’ playoff games.“More than any other major league, the NFL does a great job of making its sport accessible and interesting to its fans year ‘round,” said Schweim. “The draft is a great example of the league’s ability to market its product.”Schweim cited Philadelphia’s venue of the Museum of Art and the Ben Franklin Parkway — uniquely suited to showcase everything from the city’s Independence Day fireworks celebration and concert to a pair of Papal Masses — as the only performance space of its kind.Chloe and Halle Berry perform the National Anthem to kick off the start of the 2017 NFL Draft in front of more than 100,000 fans. (Photo credit: NFL.com)The NFL reportedly invested $20 million in building a huge stage on the steps of the Art Museum, made famous in the “Rocky” movie franchise, and other preparations. The so-called “Selection Square,” where representatives of each NFL team made the actual draft picks, was set up in the rotunda of the Franklin Institute next to the huge marble statue of Ben Franklin. A 100,000-square ft. NFL Shop was installed and had a line to get in Friday.There was a red carpet area where the first round picks strutted in expensive designer suits, a concession row featuring a wide range of food and drink concessions, as well as a photo station where fans could pose with the Lombardi Trophy and view a full collection of Super Bowl championship rings. NFL marketing executive Jessica Christ said the merchandise sales exceeded expectations in the first two days, according to published reports.Beyond the setting, Philadelphia’s legendary fans showed up in record numbers for an NFL draft and provided energy and noise never before seen. Published reports estimated 100,000 fans showed up for the first night’s selection of draft rounds 1 and 2 and even more packed the Parkway on Friday.“I heard (NFL executive and former Eagle) Troy Vincent say that Philly blew Chicago away,” said Schweim, in reference to the Windy City’s effort to host the draft last year. “Maybe Philly should have it every year.”The NFL Draft logo dominates a huge sign on stage in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.Philadelphia’s favorable geographic location allowed representation by fans of many other teams such as the New York Jets and Giants, Baltimore Ravens, Washington, Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Browns. Despite this, the dominant fan base came from the host city.“I think the Philadelphia fans’ reputation is something of a cliché, and some of the fans try to live up to it,” said Schweim. “At the same time, they are showing enthusiasm and passion that can’t be matched.”The fans booed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell every time he walked to the stage, as well as the draft selections for divisional rivals Washington and New York. But as expected, they saved the most venom for their most bitter rival, the Dallas Cowboys. On Saturday, former Dallas wide receiver Drew Pearson tried to taunt the fans: “I want to thank the Philly fans for allowing me to have a career,” he said, with the boos raining down to the point of nearly drowning out Pearson’s words.Of course they roared with cheers on Thursday night when Temple linebacker Haasan Reddick was the 13th overall selection (Arizona Cardinals) and the Eagles went “on the clock” in advance of their selection of Derek Bennett,a defensive end from Tennessee.Ocean City resident, Alec Wisnefski enjoyed the opportunity to meet Corey Davis.All of this made for what the industry calls “good TV” and results in the audience sticking with the coverage through hours and hours of programming and commercials.“I was a bit perplexed with the Eagles pick,” Schweim said. “I was expecting them to take a wide receiver or a defensive back there.” They did grab Sidney Jones, a corner from the University of Washington in the second round with the 43rd overall selection.On today’s show Schweim will talk about the draft and will speak to former Temple star running back Paul Palmer who coached Reddick when Haasan attended Haddon Heights High School.Ocean City’s Jake Schneider, Flynn DeVlieger, and Brady Rauner had great seats for watching all the action.
After weeks and weeks of analysis and projections, Atlético de Madrid decided that it also had a voice and vote in the Champions League knockout round against Liverpool. And, on the grass, it turned out that the mattresses not only looked the fearsome champion in force, but also challenged him with a pulse and bent his arm. And suddenly, team of the ‘Cholo’ Simeone travels to Anfield with advantage. There is nothing decided (just take a look back at Turin a year ago), but the mood blow is incalculable in the Metropolitan.The one who came out in all the photos was an old acquaintance, Saul. The lucky relationship of the ‘8’ with the goals in the big events had a new episode against the ‘reds’, manipulated during much of the game by an Atlético who knew how to exploit his weaknesses and block all his abundant dangers. In a demonstration of character, enduring the sections of Liverpool’s insistence and very successful in the counterattack, the rojiblanco team took the first assault of the fight. If the locals dreamed of a perfect start to the game, their wishes would probably have been less ambitious than what reality gave them: with only five minutes left, Saul, the one on the big occasions, found the ball loose in the small area After a rejection. The ‘8’ just had to push her inside. The VAR confirmed that the goal was legal and that Liverpool had to row. Klopp cost them. Before an opponent spurred by a boiling Metropolitan, the English team was without ideas against the defensive approach of Atletico. With Alexander-Arnold and Robertson of extremes, the ‘reds’ could only stockpile vertical play, a facet that mattresses dominate. Salah, Firmino and Mané tried, unsuccessfully, to find space, to breathe between defenders.In fact, it was Atlético who created a greater danger. The cons, taking advantage of the speed of Correa and Lemar (the surprise of the eleven of the ‘Cholo’) carried greater poison than the static of the ‘Pool’. First, a Lodi center that Robertson cleared in the last breath leaving Koke on the point of goal. Then, a shot from Morata granted by Van Dijk after a bad clearance and stopped Alisson.Half an hour had passed when Liverpool surfaced. The warnings were from Henderson and Fabinho with two shots too high from the front. And the scare for Atlético was through Salah, after a rebound play by Firmino and Mané. received in the area on his profile good. A death sentence … stopped by Felipe’s body.At the exit of the locker room, Atlético was about to return to grace. It was in two consecutive cons in which he did not enjoy the clairvoyance necessary to close the pass behind Correa and Llorente. And Liverpool tried to shake off the pressure by attacking fiercely. Mané was no longer there, which seemed ‘touched’, and Origi did not improve the landscape too much. Salah resumed hostilities, but his header went slightly off. Atletico, somewhat gripped as the minutes ran, was losing strength up and Liverpool began to gain meters. The feeling of overwhelm was real, but the ‘reds’ were inaccurate with the ball, obfuscated in the last meters. His usual solution, the vertical game, was never the right one. In those, Morata was 2-0, but alone, he finished himself in a great pass from Lodi. The ‘9’, which had rival giant Van Dijk in the air game, would later be injured. Vitolo and Diego Costa entered, and Klopp also took Salah away, who didn’t take it too well. Later, the German would do the same with Henderson, injured minutes after brushing the goal in a good filtration behind Lodi’s back.Time passed and the locals, who did not see Oblak perform any miracles, began to take a breath. With Liverpool dumped with more heart than head, those of Simeone could scratch against one another, but the lack of ideas and oxygen weighed on the legs of the ‘Cholo’ troop, which had already done its thing. The next battle will be in Anfield. An even greater challenge that will take Atlético to the limit. Data sheet: Atlético de Madrid: Oblak, Lodi, Vrsaljko, Felipe, Savic, Saúl, Thomas, Koke, Lemar (Llorente 46 ‘), Correa (Diego Costa 77’) and Morata (Vitolo 70 ‘).Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Henderson (Milner 79 ‘), Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Salah (Oxlade-Chamberlain 72’), Mané (Origi 46 ‘) and Firmino. Goals: 1-0 Saul (min 5)Referee: Szymon Marciniak, Polish. Yellow card with Mané, Joe Gomez and Correa Stadium: Metropolitan. 02/18/2020 – 22:53 | 23:28 – 02/18/20 Photo: EFE A goal of ‘8’ in the initial section gives victory to Simeone (1-0)The current champion was gray and without ideas in the MetropolitanAnfield, new challenge thinking about the history of Turin
Miami Heat guard Wayne Ellington (2) shoots under pressure from Dallas Mavericks guard Devin Harris (34) in the second quarter of an NBA basketball game. APMIAMI — Wayne Ellington tied a career high with 28 points, Josh Richardson scored 24 and the injury-ravaged Miami Heat never trailed on the way to beating the Dallas Mavericks, 113-101 on Friday (Saturday Manila time).Tyler Johnson scored 19 and Bam Adebayo scored 14 for Miami, which shot 64 percent — second-best in franchise history. The Heat started both halves with 12-0 runs and went 16 for 25 from 3-point range.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Waiters missed the final 13 games of last season with a left ankle sprain, and it’s nagged him at times ever since.Nowitzki made back-to-back 3s late in the third, pulling Dallas within 77-73. The Mavs had two possessions with a chance to take the lead in the fourth, misfiring on both, and Miami scored 31 points in the final 8 1/2 minutes.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READ Ellington made 3s on back-to-back possessions early in the fourth, pushing what was a two-point Heat lead out to 90-82. He connected on his seventh 3 with about four minutes left for a 99-88 lead, and Miami stayed in control the rest of the way.Richardson made 11 of 14 shots for Miami, which has won four of its last five.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkYogi Ferrell scored a season-high 23 for the Mavericks. Dirk Nowitzki and Harrison Barnes each had 20 for Dallas, which got outrebounded 35-22. The 22 rebounds were the fewest by an NBA team this season.Miami guard Dion Waiters left in the first quarter after turning his long-problematic left ankle on a drive, meaning the Heat now have seven players dealing with injuries. Hassan Whiteside, Goran Dragic, James Johnson and Justise Winslow all remained out with various injuries, Rodney McGruder and Okaro White are likely not returning anytime soon, and now Waiters is ailing again. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Nets rout Wizards to end four-game losing streak LATEST STORIES View comments Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense
Amid the controversy surrounding the proposed increase in tolls at the Berbice River Bridge, outspoken political activist and former Presidential Advisor Ramon Gaskin is suggesting a total buyout of the bridge by Government so as to resolve the issue.Political activist and former Presidential advisor Ramon GaskinGaskin on Wednesday said the situation has reached a point where the Government should seek to buy all the shares within the Berbice Bridge Company Inc (BBCI) as opposed to allowing the company to impose massive increases on the travelling public, which they can ill afford at this point.On Tuesday, the Chairman of the Berbice Bridge Company Incorporated (BBCI), Dr Surendra Persaud, who is also the Chairman for the National Insurance Scheme (NIS), announced steep increases to the current tolls at the facility.Guyana Times understands that NIS through its Chairman, was forced to push for the increase in tolls in order to protect its investment. NIS has majority voting rights on the BBCI Board of Directors.Meanwhile, on Wednesday, Gaskin also suggested that an alternative can be for Government and the NIS to solely own the bridge, thus buying the shares from all the other shareholders.“You don’t need to make a profit just cover maintenance and pay the NIS interest on their investment and you could lower the rate to where it was and it could go lower,” he advised.On the other hand, Gaskin also suggested that NIS could put in for receivership. This is a remedy available to secured creditors to recover amounts outstanding under a secured loan in the event the company defaults on its loan payments.“Put it into receivership and get rid of the rest of shareholders… by buying the shares out… but make it a Government owned bridge together with the NIS and reduce the rates. The bridge could be nationalised, and Government could buy it over in the interest of NIS,” he said.Asked whether he believes the Government would make such a move, the political activist said while the Government could show some level of reluctance but added that it is in the best interest of all parties involved and as such it should be done.“The Government don’t understand any of these things… But they must look at protecting the interest of people. If they go ahead and buy the shares and take over the bridge it will be good for everyone,” he added.Further, Gaskin said the Chairman of the BBCI, Dr Surendra Persaud should be questioned by the Police over the non-payment to the NIS. He believes that Dr Persaud who chairs both the NIS and BCCI should be a matter of concern. He is also a member of the Alliance For Change (AFC).Shareholders positionOne of the shareholders told Guyana Times that it recognises that the Berbice Bridge is in serious financial jeopardy given that debts have reached maturity and few options are available to stave off bankruptcy.“The Government should sit down with the bridge company and work out the appropriate subsidy with due reference to the financial model and or the Concession Agreement. This is necessary as a result of Government’s refusal to allow incremental increases, or in other words, refusing to honour its contractual obligations as per the Concession Agreement,” the shareholder said.Another noted that if an agreement cannot be reached, them it is recommended that the Government buy back the bridge and compensate investors in keeping with the financial model and other investment documents.“Once the Government executes a buyback it will be able to lower tolls. If this is approached properly Government might still be able to preserve public private partnerships in Guyana,” the shareholder stated.It added that the investors assumed significant risk to build the bridge. While the bridge has been de-risked for several years, following its successful opening, the ordinary shareholders are yet to receive a single cent in dividends.“We recognise the efforts of the Directors of the bridge company who has a fiduciary duty to preserve the financial integrity of the company in the context of the dire circumstances the company must be facing at this time. We also empathises with commuters who are caught in the middle,” a representative of a shareholder told Guyana Times.BBCI letterIn a letter sent from the BBCI to Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson dated Monday, October 15, it stated that there have been four requests for the tolls to be adjusted but to no avail. It expressed disappointment having met with the Minister there was no positive outcome.However, the company having sought legal advice was told that they have to consult with the Minister for the toll increases. “It is by under and virtue of the above provision that the Berbice Bridge Company Inc is consulting with you in relation to the proposals for an adjustment in tolls,” the missive stated while still declaring that the increases will take effect on November 12, , the same day as Local Government Elections.