At the recommendation of the United States Agency forInternational Development’s (USAID) Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART),Joint Task Force-Leeward Islands (JTF-LI) successfully completed its mission inthe eastern Caribbean on October 5th. JTF-LI completed the USAID-ledhumanitarian response to hurricanes Irma and Maria in Saint Martin on September28th, and in Dominica on October 5th. The U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) stood up JTF-LI on September 9th after USAID requested the unique capabilities of the U.S. military to provide logistics support, airfield support, and water desalination services. During its successful mission, JTF-LI flew 55 missions in the Caribbean to deliver aid and response staff, delivered more than 155 metric tons of humanitarian cargo, transported nearly 61 metric tons of equipment, including water desalination units and forklifts, and produced 83,020 gallons of potable water. “The support from Joint Task Force-Leeward Islands was crucial to help us reach people in need,” said Tim Callaghan, USAID DART leader. As more roads open and aid reaches communities that were inaccessible in the immediate aftermath of the hurricanes, operations supported by the task force have transitioned to host governments, as well as United Nations and nongovernmental agencies. In Dominica, DART worked with government officials and JTF-LI to deliver the relief items provided by USAID to people in need. This includes delivery of aid and response personnel to the southern town of Grand Bay, which had been isolated due to hurricane-related landslides and bridge damage. “In my 17 years doing this, I’ve never experienced anything like this,” said Callaghan. “The devastation I’ve seen is unprecedented.” Hurricane Maria blew off the roofs of most of the homes on the island. Between September 25th and October 2nd, members of DART, JTF-LI, and local residents cut rolls of heavy-duty plastic sheeting into smaller sheets for distribution to more than 2,500 affected families in need. “I’ve worked with U.S. SOUTHCOM on several disaster responses,” said Callaghan. “This strong relationship, built over more than a decade, allowed the USAID disaster team to overcome logistical challenges and helped to turn this response around.” DART also worked with local residents to conduct trainings on how to properly use the shelter materials to protect their homes. USAID DART and JTF-LI also transported 3,000 feet of replacement water pipes to the town of Grand Bay to help the local water and sewage authority restore services. USAID DART will continue to lead the U.S. humanitarian response efforts in the Caribbean in coordination with international donors, partners, and host governments. The United States, through USAID’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) and the U.S. Department of Defense, has provided more than $14.2 million in humanitarian assistance for the responses to hurricanes Irma and Maria. Flexible and nimble DART activated its regional response on September 7th, comprising 54 people at its height. Its members rode out three back-to-back hurricanes in the Caribbean (Irma, Jose, and Maria) and responded to the devastation caused by two Category 5 storms. The team has remained flexible and nimble, with members remaining on the ground to respond to changing humanitarian needs. Disaster experts with OFDA will remain on the ground in the Caribbean to monitor ongoing USAID relief efforts and assess potential gaps, in close coordination with affected governments and USAID partners. By Diálogo October 12, 2017
OpTic Gaming is reportedly the latest team to be accepted into the upcoming split of the North American League of Legends Championship Series.Meanwhile, it’s rough news for fans of Pheonix1 and Team Envy as both teams have failed to secure entry into the 2018 NA LCS, according to a report by ESPN.The NA LCS is undergoing significant changes next split, including a much-discussed switch to a revenue-sharing model based on franchising. As a result of the shift, teams have had to apply to rejoin the league, in order to secure spots – which appear to be hotly contested.So tough is the competition that longstanding League of Legends brand Team Dignitas – who participated in the first season of the NA LCS in 2013 – were denied application, and Pheonix1 and Team Envy will now join them in retiring from the league. Sources said that they were notified of Riot Games’ decision sometime last week.OpTic Gaming make the cut after a process which reportedly saw over 100 applications from a diverse array of potential teams and investors. Their buy-in will include $5 million (£3.77m) up front, with a further $5 million in later payments. As a new team, they will also be required to pay a $3m (£2.26m) fee, which will enter a pool used to compensate existing teams (such as Pheonix1 and Envy) which don’t make it in. This latest news means that at least three new teams will be joining the next season of Riot’s showpiece North American league.Alongside OpTic, reports earlier this week suggested that Joe Lacob, majority owner of the NBA’s Golden State Warriors, was accepted as one of the ten franchise spot holders.The changes to the North American League of Legends Championship Series continue with no further news from Riot regarding the future of the European LCS, a cause of some concern that the region may struggle to remain competitive.Esports Insider says: Team Envy and Pheonix1 have only participated in the NA LCS for three splits, so their loss in favour of new blood is not altogether unexpected. We look forward to seeing OpTic and their infamous Green Wall enter the League of Legends scene.
Myla Pablo earns PVL MVP SEPANG—The Philippines and Myanmar Under-23 football teams have arrived with similar targets – to reach the semi-finals of the KL SEA Games.Myanmar head coach Gerd Zeise believes his team can achieve the target based on their silver-medal finish at Singapore 2015, when they lost 3-0 to Thailand in the final.ADVERTISEMENT The Philippines head coach, Marlon Maro, boldly predicted that Malaysia would win the gold medal.Thailand are the favourites to retain the gold after winning the last two editions but Maro, 52, feels that Malaysia could nick it based on the improvement shown by Datuk Ong Kim Swee’s charges.“Thailand are a good team, but I pick Malaysia as favourites for the gold medal. If you look back at history, Malaysia have a good record as hosts, having reached won gold in 1989 and silver in 2001,” said Maro.He also said that his players were better prepared this time compared to Singapore 2015 as “we have played a series of friendlies in Japan and Cambodia”.“We all know that we have two strong teams in our group – Thailand and Vietnam. So, we will take it one game at a time.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next “We must first clear the preliminary hurdles before thinking about the semi-finals. I’m confident my boys will be ready for the challenge,” Zeise told reporters after the team’s arrival at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) here Saturday.The 64-year-old German, however, warned his men not to underestimate the other teams in Group A, including hosts Malaysia, Singapore, Laos and Brunei.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Malaysia are certainly the favourites to reach the semi-finals as hosts,” said Zeise, who was previously in charge of Myanmar’s senior team.Myanmar will kick off their campaign against Singapore at the Selayang Municipal Council Stadium on Monday. “Our main objective is to reach the semi-finals,” said Maro.The Philippines, who failed to advance to the knockout stage in 2015, are in Group B with Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Timor Leste.They will open their campaign against Cambodia at the Selayang Municipal Council Stadium on Aug 15.
Marco Silva demands Everton responseby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveMarco Silva wants his side to show their quality in their next game on New Year’s Day.The Toffees ended 2018 with a disappointing loss to Brighton, which put them 10th in the league.Their manager now wants them to bounce back against Leicester City at home.”It is important to be strong again and ready for the next match in three days,” Silva told the club’s website.”We don’t have time to prepare in the normal way but that is the schedule and we have to put in our players’ minds how important the next game is.”We have to change our recent form at home and give a different answer.”It will be a tough match but we have to give 100 per cent to win it.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
Twitter/@keola_vWell, this was probably inevitable. N.C. State fans really, really don’t like North Carolina, and many have gotten a lot of joy out of the recent academic scandal in Chapel Hill. We’ve seen many fans get custom license plates, many of which are used to taunt rival fans. This “[email protected]” license plate was bound to be made—the only real question was whether a Duke fan would be a State fan to the punch.School spirit I guess, lol #ncst #unc #wolfpack #tarheels #acc #ncstate #Duke pic.twitter.com/RrLYLryobI— Keola Victorino (@keola_v) July 7, 2015We’re sure the Tar Heels fans in the area really appreciate seeing this on their daily commute.
BRUSSELS – Britain and the European Union appeared to be inching toward agreement on Brexit on Monday, but British Prime Minister Theresa May faced intensifying pressure from her divided Conservative government that could yet scuttle a deal.Britain leaves the EU on March 29 — the first country ever to do so — but a deal must be sealed in the coming weeks to leave enough time for the U.K. and European Parliaments to sign off. May faces increasing domestic pressure over her proposals for an agreement following the resignation of another government minister last week.The British leader had been hoping to present a draft deal to her Cabinet this week. But no Brexit breakthrough was announced Monday after talks between European affairs ministers. The two sides are locked in technical negotiations to try to bridge the final gaps in a move laden with heavy political and economic consequences.May said talks were in their “endgame” but that negotiating a divorce agreement after more than four decades of British EU membership was “immensely difficult.”May told an audience at the Lord Mayor’s Banquet in London that “we are working extremely hard, through the night, to make progress on the remaining issues in the Withdrawal Agreement, which are significant.“Both sides want to reach an agreement,” May said, though she added she wouldn’t sign up to “agreement at any cost.”The main obstacle to a deal is how to keep goods flowing smoothly across the border between EU country Ireland and Northern Ireland in the U.K.Both sides have committed to avoid a hard border with costly and time-consuming checks that would hamper business. Any new customs posts on the border could also re-ignite lingering sectarian tensions. But Britain and the EU haven’t agreed on how to achieve that goal.“Clearly this is a very important week for Brexit negotiations,” Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney told reporters after the meeting in Brussels. “The two negotiating teams have really intensified their engagement … There is still clearly work to do.”And Martin Callanan, a minister in Britain’s Brexit department, said all involved were “straining every sinew to make sure that we get a deal but we have to get a deal that is right for the U.K., right for the EU and one that would be acceptable to the U.K. Parliament.”EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier didn’t speak to reporters Monday and a planned news conference with him was cancelled.Instead, EU headquarters issued a short statement saying that Barnier explained to the ministers that “intense negotiating efforts continue, but an agreement has not been reached yet.”Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok said the two sides “are getting closer to each other.”“But in negotiations there is only a deal if there is full agreement,” Blok said. “There is only a 100-per cent deal. There is not a 90-per cent deal or a 95-per cent deal.”Earlier, France’s EU affairs minister, Nathalie Loiseau, stepped up pressure on May. “The ball is in the British court. It is a question of a British political decision,” she said.The EU is awaiting Barnier’s signal as to whether sufficient progress has been made to call an EU summit to seal a deal.Rumours have swirled of a possible top-level meeting at the end of November. But Austrian EU affairs minister Gernot Bluemel, whose country holds the EU’s rotating presidency, said “so far progress is not sufficient to call in and set up another (summit).”In recent days there have been signs of progress behind the scenes, but all parties have remained tight-lipped about the developments, given the politically charged atmosphere.In Britain, pro-Brexit and pro-EU politicians alike warned May that the deal she seeks is likely to be shot down by Parliament.Boris Johnson, a staunch Brexit supporter, wrote in a column for Monday’s Daily Telegraph that May’s plan to adhere closely to EU regulations in return for a trade deal and an open Irish border amounts to “total surrender” to the bloc.The proposed terms are scarcely more popular with advocates of continued EU membership.Former Education Secretary Justine Greening on Monday called May’s proposals the “worst of all worlds,” and said the public should be allowed to vote on Britain’s departure again.“We should be planning as to how we can put this final say on Brexit in the hands of the British people,” Greening told the BBC.Johnson’s younger brother, Jo Johnson, resigned last week backing calls for a second referendum on whether the country should leave the EU. May has consistently rejected the idea of another nationwide vote on Brexit.___Jill Lawless reported from London.
LISBON, Portugal — While some powerful European Union governments are uneasy about China possibly capturing control of the bloc’s critical energy and transport infrastructure, one of western Europe’s smallest economies is grabbing the opportunity with both hands.Chinese President Xi Jinping is due in Portugal on Tuesday for a 24-hour state visit. The Portuguese government hopes Beijing will invest in the country’s biggest Atlantic port and help expand national energy company Energias de Portugal overseas.France and other EU countries, and the European Commission, have deep misgivings about Portugal possibly signing up to China’s “One Belt, One Road” initiative that seeks to link Asia to Europe, saying Beijing’s strategy could help fracture the EU.But Portuguese Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva says Portugal is “very interested” in the multibillion-dollar infrastructure loan scheme.The Associated Press
UPDATE – As of 4:00 p.m., traffic on the Taylor Bridge is opened to single-lane alternating traffic.Continue to check drivebc.ca for updates.UPDATE – As of 3:00 p.m. Wednesday, RCMP say two vehicles were involved in a collision on the Taylor Bridge this afternoon. According to Police, no injuries were sustained from this collision.They say the bridge will be shut down until it is inspected for structural damage.Continue to check drivebc.ca for updates.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – We have received word this afternoon that there is a vehicle collision on the northbound lane of the Taylor Bridge.Crews are currently on scene assessing the incident.Expect delays at this time as crews clear the scene. We will provide updates as they become available.
NEW DELHI: The AAP Tuesday said its Lok Sabha candidates would file their nominations from Thursday even as uncertainty remained over a possible alliance between the ruling party in Delhi and the Congress. On the other hand after door-to-door campaign at East Delhi, AAP candidate from the constituency observed that 80 per cent of the residents neither know the name of BJP MP Mahesh Girri nor they have ever seen him. Senior AAP leader Gopal Rai said the party’s west Delhi candidate Balbir Singh Jakhar would file his nomination on Thursday while Chandni Chowk candidate Pankaj Gupta, East Delhi candidate Atishi and North West Delhi candidate Gugan Singh would file their nominations on Saturday. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderOn Monday, South Delhi candidate Raghav Chadha, North East candidate Dilip Pandey and New Delhi candidate Brajesh Goel would file their nomination, Rai said. He said before filing of nominations, a road show would be taken out by all the candidates and senior party leaders would also participate in it. Meanwhile, AAP East Delhi candidate Atishi alleged that sitting MP from East Delhi Mahesh Girri did not allow the Delhi government to set up a superspeciality hospital at East Delhi. “The MP did not allow the DDA to give us the land and now people throw garbage to that place,” said Atishi. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsShe also said that Girri made a false inauguration of East Delhi campus of IP university but did not do anything later Delhi govt had to interfere. “In the last five years at the meetings of police monitoring committee where he was supposed to represent the area attended only one out of sixty meetings,” alleged Atishi. She also said that the law and order situation at the constituency dropped severely in the last five years and also there have been various caste and communal violence took place at the ground level.
Jaunpur (UP): The BSP and the SP Tuesday termed Prime Minister Narendra Modi “chowkidar (watchman) of capitalists” and asserted the two alliance partners will “shake the roots” of the ruling party. Addressing an election rally in favour of alliance candidates of Jaunpur and Machhlishahr seats, the alliance termed the Congress “anti-dalit”and alleged that the grand old party wants people to stay poor. “Both the BJP and Congress are anti-dalits… the Congress, which is claiming to provide Rs 6,000 (under its proposed ‘Nyay’ scheme) only wants people to remain poor and helpless,” BSP chief Mayawati told the gathering. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghTerming Modi the “chowkidar (watchman) of capitalists”, she alleged that he helped the rich become richer. “BJP is going out of power in these elections… it has failed to fulfil the promises made in 2014 to the poor and middle class… despite all this, how can the prime minister seek votes again,” Mayawati said and termed GST and demonetisation the cause of corruption. “Terror attacks are taking place and the government is busy taking mileage out of the Army’s valour,” she claimed. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadShe alleged that farmers in Uttar Pradesh are facing immense hardship because of stray cattle and blamed the Yogi Adityanath government for it. In his address, Samajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav said, “The BJP is standing on a foundation of lies and our alliance will shake its very roots… perhaps the BJP is not aware of the alliance storm.” “This time, people will snatch the chair of the chaiwala-turned-chowkidar,” he said.