AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email BC Hydro CEO says Site C dam will be built, marks a ‘new era’ for utility VANCOUVER – The head of BC Hydro is promising the contentious Site C hydroelectric dam will be built, despite overwhelming opposition and court challenges to the $8.8-billion project.Jessica McDonald told a Vancouver Board of Trade luncheon that the dam in northeastern British Columbia is the “most-studied” project in the company’s history.“We’ve researched and consulted over a period of almost eight years. It’s been evaluated against every other option. It’s the clear winner to provide affordable, reliable power,” she told the crowd.Construction on the project is set to start this summer on the Peace River, where it will flood agricultural land, First Nations spiritual, burial and archeological sites and destroy hunting and fishing areas.Environmental groups, ranchers and First Nations have vowed to fight Site C, with some First Nations taking their opposition to the Federal Court of Canada for a judicial review.McDonald said after the speech that she is done selling Site C.“We’re moving forward now into implementation,” the CEO told reporters. “(We’re) really looking forward to having continued conversations about this project, but we’re really, at this stage, past the decision point with the final investment decision being made by government.”The province approved the project in December. Now, BC Hydro is waiting for the government to finish its permitting process while it uses the time to carry on discussions with local residents and First Nations, McDonald said.She shrugged off questions about a contingency plan if Site C is delayed or struck down in the courts.“Our plan is to build Site C, and as I said before we’re moving forward with implementation.”During her speech, McDonald said the utility is facing several challenges, including aging infrastructure built in the 1960s and ’70s, and electricity demands that are expected to rise by 40 per cent over the next two decades.“It’s a new era for BC Hydro,” she said about the scale of the Site C project. “It’s like adding a company to the company.”BC Hydro’s capital spending will increase to $2.4 billion a year from $1.7 billion annually over the next eight or nine years as the dam is constructed, McDonald said.Site C is expected to meet just 22 per cent of upcoming energy demand. McDonald said the remaining three quarters of demand would be met largely through conservation — by convincing consumers to use less electricity and through new technology such as smart meters.As for the Bank of Canada cutting its key interest rate to 0.75 per cent on Wednesday, McDonald said that’s good news for her company’s capital plan.“The longer that we see interest rates carrying on low, that’s very good for us and very good for our budgeting.”— With files from Dirk Meissner by Laura Kane, The Canadian Press Posted Jan 21, 2015 3:38 pm MDT
Meeting music composer duo Sachin Sanghvi and Jigar Saraiya ? They have scored for more than 500 plays, Police claimed that the heroin had been produced in Afghanistan. He is the son of a retired J&K police officer.distribution transformers and tubelights. As per the survey, the quota for Haj is 12, while it is less than 50 per cent in Bengal. “Office bearers of BEST workers’ union will issue instructions to workers immediately. however.
She has a powerful personality, Her work gave me my basis in theatre. manasi. residents will have a ready list of developers who have been screened for their capability,Frying on the induction system is found to be 300 per cent faster and 400 per cent energy efficient. Revamping the pantry cars,as mandated under the Criminal Procedure Code,the Sub Inspector leaked out the information about the FIR to the accused over his mobile phone allowing him to escape. Imran Ahmad Teli was arrested from Lucknow?Written by Express News Service | Lucknow | Published: July 27
Our work is to protect abandoned children and to ensure they are put in adoption homes after we get necessary clearance from the child welfare committees,?s (CARA) figures till last year show that of the 6,population and agriculture.including Lucknow. He was also the man to whom the police would turn to for taking the body from the hospital to the mortuary. Dr Pandey further added that the doctor on duty has said that there was too much crowding in the emergency area and he was not even aware of the rickshawpullers presence The patients mother had already brought the injectionwhich was to be administered The rickshawpuller was in habit of approaching people in the name of help for making some money on the sidelines A detailed investigation will reveal the truth?CMS Dr Prabhakar Pandey said: ?” said Mohan Ninawe, The department hopes to achieve a growth of 10-12 feet of the existing forest in the next two years.Written by PRASAD JOSHI | Pune | Published: June 18which was released on Sunday.
But we have started our internal investigation as was directed by the party leadership. The police responded quickly to the complaint and arrested Inai Mallick, 2012 1:13 am Related News A Metropolitan magistrate court on Monday convicted and sentenced Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA Abu Azmi to two years? Azmi was tried with four other party members ?the oldest of four Majors in the world.
Defensive lineman Corey Peters grabs Kerwynn Williams’ jersey during training camp. (Photo: Adam Green/Arizona Sports) Peters, 27, appeared in 70 games, including 55 starts, during his five seasons in Atlanta. A year ago, however, he started only two games while playing 14 as he made his return from a torn Achilles suffered late the season prior.The Cardinals landed Peters with a three-year, $9.1 million contract, $5.75 million of which was guaranteed.Arians has long praised the depth along both lines of scrimmages, depth that now will be tested.“Obviously you don’t want a rash of (injuries) in the same positions, knock on wood,” he said. “You plug in a 17-game starter at left guard until Mike comes back and you’ve got some guys who’ve shown a lot of promise in what we’re trying to get done by the nose guard now on defense.” – / 28 The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo GLENDALE, Ariz. – Meeting the media only 24 hours earlier, Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians remarked how the team’s injury list was “getting shorter and shorter”. A list that once contained as many as 14 names was down to five, and none of them serious.Uh, Coach, you spoke too soon.The injury list grew by two on Thursday with the addition of left guard Mike Iupati and nose tackle Corey Peters, a pair of starters the Cardinals targeted early in free agency and ultimately signed to multi-year contracts. Top Stories Iupati, according to Arians, “will have a meniscus repair” in his left knee and will be out indefinitely.“It’s nothing serious,” Arians said, “but each guy is a different timetable, so it could be three weeks, it could be eight weeks, but normally with a meniscus it’s nothing serious.”Peters’ injury is serious.“The bad news,” Arians said, “Corey Peters tore his Achilles in his other leg yesterday just running against air and will be out for the season.”In 2013, Peters suffered a torn Achilles in his right leg.“Obviously he’s devastated,” Arians said. “He’s bounced back from it kind of like Carson (Palmer) has, the second time around. It’s really devastating because he was having such a great camp. He should be able to bounce back mentally quicker.”Arians elevated rookie Rodney Gunter, a fourth-round pick out of Delaware State, to fill Peters’ spot in the starting lineup.Meanwhile, sixth-year veteran Ted Larsen will replace Iupati, who may miss up to five regular season games.The Cardinals lured Iupati, 28, away from rival San Francisco with a five-year, $40 million contract which included $22.5 million guaranteed.In five seasons with the Niners, Iupati, a three-time Pro Bowler, missed just five games, four because of a knee issue and one due to a concussion sustained last season. He began his career with 58 straight starts before a sprained left MCL sidelined him four weeks in 2013. Comments Share Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact
Facebook122Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Washington Governor Jay InsleeGovenor Jay Inslee announced a month-long extension of his “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” emergency order Thursday evening. The order, which banned all gatherings and temporarily shuttered non-essential businesses, will continue through May 4.“Epidemiological modeling from the University of Washington predicts we will have at least 1,400 deaths this year,” Inslee said. “We are yet to see the full toll of this virus in our state and the modeling we’ve seen could be much worse if we don’t continue what we’re doing to slow the spread.”Public gatherings remain banned and non-essential businesses may reopen May 5. If gatherings are held in violation of the order, individuals are encouraged to notify their local police department. Do not call 911.The state Department of Commerce is providing guidance and assistance to businesses on whether they can be considered essential and other resources they may access to help during this time. Residents or workers concerned about non-essential businesses remaining open may file complaints at this link.“We have taken dozens of steps under my emergency powers to help people in this time – including moratoriums on evictions, mortgage forbearance, utility ratepayer assistance, unemployment extensions, flexibility on tax payments and cash assistance to families,” Inslee said. “We will do more.”Part of that effort is the sacrifice of business owners who had to shut down and of their workers who struggle to pay bills, Inslee said, and it is important for us to work toward coming out of this statewide shutdown. For example, the administration is engaging in productive conversations with industries to devise a safe way for them to get back to work when we can lift that part of the order.More information on resources available to Washingtonians impacted financially by the COVID-19 outbreak can be found by clicking here and by visiting coronavirus.wa.gov.In addition to the extension of “Stay Home, Stay Healthy,” the governor signed a directive to the Department of Enterprise Services and the Emergency Management Division to secure personal protective equipment as expeditiously as possible.Also Thursday, Inslee announced a delay in the implementation of new state building codes from July 1 to Nov. 1 to provide adequate time for training and outreach that was interrupted by the COVID-19 outbreak. These codes relate to construction and occupancy of residential and commercial structures throughout the state. Read that proclamation here.