Story TimelineGoogle+ shutdown: How to download and keep your data nowYou owe Google+ thanks for the best Google app “The consumer version of Google+ currently has low usage and engagement: 90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than five seconds,” Ben Smith, Google Fellow and VP of Engineering, admitted at the time. Despite the engineering team’s efforts, the social site simply wasn’t appealing enough. As a result, “it has not achieved broad consumer or developer adoption, and has seen limited user interaction with apps,” Smith said. Accepting defeat, Google announced that it would be axing Google+ for consumers over a ten month period. By the end of August 2019, therefore, the site would be shuttered. All that would be left is an enterprise-focused version, giving co-workers a space to collaborate on business projects. The news came as little surprise to most, but Google’s cavalier attitude to Google+ frustrated the site’s loyalists. Particularly galling was the fact that Google gave no prior notice on the social network itself. Instead, the shutdown was announced as a footnote of sorts, as Google grudgingly confirmed that a security blunder had left personal information of hundreds of thousands of Google+ users potentially accessible to hackers. Now, a Change.org petition is hoping to get Google to spare Google+ instead. Currently signed by more than 31,000 people, the goal is simple: persuade Google to extend Google+ a lifeline. Some of the reasons given are damning with their faint praise, it has to be said. “As much as I hate the site and all of its issues,” Hunter Cecchi writes of Google+, “its [sic] home to many of us. “It’s garbage,” Brent Hannon concurs, “but it’s our garbage.”Whether Google will be amenable to their arguments remains to be seen. Part of the company’s justification for shuttering Google+ for consumers has been that the efforts required to keep on top of security for the social network simply aren’t justified given the low user numbers. Even if those actually sticking around on the site are vocal in their support for it, it seems unlikely that their presence will be sufficient to make it worth Google’s while to continue even patching Google+ over time, much less add new features. Google may have signed the death warrant for Google+ but some of its most devoted users are calling for a reprieve, with a Change.org petition demanding the oft-mocked social network be allowed to live on. The search giant announced that the writing was on the wall for Google+ earlier this month, conceding that the site it hoped to eventually overshadow Facebook and Twitter simply hadn’t lived up to expectations.
Jan 9 2019Faulty wiring of the prefrontal cortex during development leads to abnormal brain activity and cognitive impairments related to mental illness, according to a mouse study published in JNeurosci. Source:http://www.sfn.org/ Eliminating a molecule called Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) from the entire brain has been previously shown to alter connectivity between the prefrontal cortex and the hippocampus and impair the cognitive abilities this circuit supports in mice exposed to an environmental stressor. Ileana Hanganu-Opatz and colleagues now show similar deficits arise from disrupting DISC1 in a specific group of prefrontal cortex neurons in mouse embryos whose mothers were infected with a virus. These findings uncover a molecular mechanism by which abnormal development of the prefrontal cortex and maternal stress interact to produce brain and behavior impairments reminiscent of schizophrenia, bipolar, and depressive disorders.
In June I covered 10 new accessibility features rumored to be in iOS 8 discussing hinted features like a Braille keyboard, improved zoom capability, multi-device support, and more. For months now, several rumors have emerged answering the question, “What’s next in line for Apple?” The rumors may finally come to rest in less than a week with Apple’s unveiling event taking place next Tuesday, September 9. The event is scheduled to take place 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.Based on a report by MacInsider, not only will Apple be introducing iOS 8, but they will also unveil the new and highly anticipated iPhone 6. While Apple keeps their products under strict lock and key, many leaked photos and specifics have made their way onto the web.Here are some of the said rumors:The iPhone 6 will not only feature the upgraded operating system (iOS 8), but it is rumored to feature a larger screen, which is ideal for individuals with visual impairments. The screen is predicted to be available in two different dimensions: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. While this may be beneficial for people with visual impairments, it also may prove difficult for others to hold. Some online posts discuss how holding a large phone in one hand is more difficult.Following the current wearable technology trend, Apple is also rumored to debut an alleged “iWatch” that will communicate directly with the new iPhone. This will allow users to take full advantage of the rumored health applications (heart rate monitor, HealthKit, etc.), as well as offer the ability to operate the iPhone without physically holding it. There are two uncertainties regarding Apple’s wearable: 1. The device may not be a smartwatch, and 2. The device may only be hinted at and not unveiled until possibly October.The new iPhone is also rumored to incorporate a higher capacity battery, granting twice the capacity of the current iPhone battery. This is of great benefit for all users.Another rumor discusses the integration of near field communication (NFC) technology. This technology is featured on other smartphones currently available on the market. NFC allows the phone to communicate wirelessly with other nearby devices. This could allow persons with differing abilities to have pre-programmed events that are triggered by simply placing their iPhone in a specific location, such as home automation.Again, the above statements are rumors. The truth behind Apple’s upcoming products will be unveiled next Tuesday, September 9.Share this…TwitterFacebookPinterestLinkedInEmailPrint RelatedApple’s Bigger than Bigger AnnouncementsSeptember 10, 2014In “Computers”10 New Accessibility Features in iOS 8June 10, 2014In “Products and Devices”Spring Forward with the Apple Watch!March 12, 2015In “Products and Devices”
Last modified on Tue 24 Apr 2018 11.36 EDT Share on LinkedIn Experts say suit alleging election conspiracy could inform the public about Trump and Russia, but some Democrats have voiced concern Donald Trump’s 2020 campaign manager, Brad Parscale, branded the DNC action a “last-ditch effort to revive the witch-hunt with a lawsuit”.Trump tweeted that it was “so funny, the Democrats have sued the Republicans for Winning”.Even some Democrats have expressed reservations. “I think this sidebar lawsuit is not in the interest of the American people,” the US congresswoman Jackie Speier of San Francisco, who has a law degree, told CNN.But the lawsuit is distinct in significant ways from parallel legal actions and – if it is not dismissed outright at an early stage – it could add significantly to public knowledge, at least, about Trump campaign activities and Russian election tampering, legal experts said.“[It] might end up becoming a really, really powerful tool for the DNC to actually unearth new information,” Susan Hennessey, executive editor of the Lawfare blog and a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, told PBS Newshour on Friday.The DNC suit alleges that the Trump campaign was a racketeering enterprise engaged in an illegal conspiracy to influence the outcome of the election. Unlike parallel legal actions, the lawsuit names as defendants Donald Trump Jr and Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and adviser.While both men have been subject to grand jury subpoenas issued by the special counsel Robert Mueller, and Kushner sat for a private meeting with Mueller in November 2017, neither has been charged by Mueller, as far as is publicly known.The brothers-in-law have separately denied any wrongdoing.The DNC lawsuit could be seen as an outrider to Mueller’s investigation of alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia and related matters, Hennessey told PBS.“I think that they are fundamentally unrelated,” she said. “We don’t know much about the Mueller investigation. The DNC suit both relies on the Mueller investigation, because it uses some evidence that actually comes from those court filings, and it also gets quite a bit ahead – it is alleging this actual conspiracy [and] we haven’t seen Mueller make that showing.“I think the best way to think about it is sort of parallel tracks, the same subject matter but not necessarily related.”In a separate lawsuit filed in July 2017, three plaintiffs whose emails were hacked and disseminated in the cyber-attacks on the DNC accused the Trump campaign and Trump’s former adviser Roger Stone of an invasion of privacy. Stone had boasted of communications with Julian Assange of WikiLeaks, which published the emails.A hearing on a motion to dismiss the suit, filed in US district court for the District of Columbia by the DNC donors Roy Cockrum and Eric Schoenberg, and the former DNC staffer Scott Comer, is scheduled for 17 May.Writing last year on that lawsuit, Andrew Wright, a former White House associate counsel and a professor at Savannah Law School, concluded: “This is an extraordinary case in which discovery orders on the path to that proof could be as important to the public discourse as the outcome of the case itself.”The same dynamic could hold in the DNC suit, Wright said in an email to the Guardian, with important information coming to light through judicial proceedings.Hennessey, meanwhile, said: “This is an amazingly complex legal landscape.” Support The Guardian Tom McCarthy By suing the Trump campaign, the Russian government and others, the Democratic National Committee has opened up a new front in a legal battle that is either a campaign for justice or a pitiable attempt to overturn the 2016 election result, depending on whom you ask. Since you’re here… Share on Facebook Email Read more Shares4545 Democrats US politics ‘Protecting our democracy’: DNC chair defends suit against Trump and Russia Donald Trump at a rally in 2016. The DNC’s suit claims his campaign was involved in an illegal conspiracy to influence the election’s results.Photograph: ddp USA/Rex/Shutterstock Share on Pinterest Share on Twitter Tue 24 Apr 2018 06.00 EDT DNC lawsuit against Trump campaign divides party – but could reveal key facts Trump-Russia investigation Share on Messenger Share via Email Trump-Russia investigation Reuse this content Share on WhatsApp Share on Facebook Topics Share on Twitter US elections 2016 @TeeMcSee analysis … we have a small favour to ask. The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share via Email