Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Patrick Leahy (D-VT) today said Vermont would be in line for $10.8 million of a $5 billion appropriation for home heating assistance included in a spending bill that Senate Republicans are trying to block.One of the last must-do measures on the agenda before Congress adjourns for the year, the appropriations bill would prevent a 40 percent cut in the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Vermont’s $10.8 million share would help keep senior citizens on fixed incomes, families with children and the disabled warm this winter.The critical funding for Vermont is in danger, however, because some Republicans have mounted a filibuster in the Senate and even threatened to require the entire 1,924-page bill to be read aloud on the Senate floor.Sanders said, ‘At a time when heating oil prices are skyrocketing, we have got to pass the omnibus appropriations bill so that no one in Vermont goes cold this winter. Without these additional funds, seniors and low-income Americans in Vermont and throughout the country will find themselves facing very painful choices on how to stretch already stretched budgets.’Leahy said, ‘In Vermont, where our winter temperatures average below freezing and the lows dip into the single digits, our low-income families, Vermonters with disabilities and senior citizens should not be forced to decide between paying their home energy bills or affording basic necessities such as food, rent, or prescription drugs. Heat in winter is a necessity, not an option. At a time when we are trying to help Americans recover from the Great Recession, some in Congress from warmer states like South Carolina and Arizona would rather use the Senate’s limited time to give enormous tax breaks to multi-millionaires rather than help America’s most needy and vulnerable households.’Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) said, ‘Now is not the time to play political games with the safety and well-being of low-income Americans. For Vermonters who rely upon heating assistance to make it through a cold winter, this sort of stalling tactic is deplorable. LIHEAP should be fully funded ‘ and it should be fully funded now.’Federal funding for the heating assistance program was nearly doubled in the last two years under a provision sponsored by Sanders. Leahy cosponsored that 2008 legislation and Welch sponsored companion legislation that year in the House.So far this year, Vermont has only received a total of $14.8 million for LIHEAP, compared to the $25.6 million in regular funding it received last year and will receive if the majority in the Senate can overcome a Republican filibuster.This heating season, Vermont estimates that more than 27,000 households will receive benefits, up from 20,350 last year. Because the demand has increased but the amount available so far has decreased and the number of eligible households has expanded, the average benefit is being reduced from about $1,100 last year to about $660 this heating season.Leahy, Sanders and Welch signed letters to the House and Senate Appropriations committees last month urging them to maintain the funding for LIHEAP at the 2010 level of $5.1 billion.After Congress doubled funding for home heating assistance in 2009, a record 8.3 million households nationwide received aid. This winter, as a result of the lingering recession, many more families are expected to need help keeping the heat turned on.Source: Vermont congressional delegation. WASHINGTON, Dec. 16, 2010
A disappointing 2016-17 season has helped turn the Prince Albert Raiders into the No. 1 club in the Canadian Hockey League.The Raiders finished third last in the 22-team Western Hockey League that year and missed the playoffs for the second time in three seasons. They had two nine-game losing streaks en route to a 21-44-7 record and felt disrespected by the opposition.But the players haven’t forgotten about it, with eight of them still on the roster, and in 2018-19 Prince Albert has already surpassed its win total a third of the way into the season. The Raiders are riding a league-best 18-game win streak after beating the Red Deer Rebels 4-3 on Tuesday.“A few players that are on the team now were on that (’16-17) team and there were some teams that were kind of insulting and kicked sand in our faces and we remember that,” said Raiders head coach Marc Habscheid. “We carry that with us even this year and we’ve talked about that. We’ve tried to lose the right way, and win the right way now, too. We respect everyone we play against. If we get up on a team, we certainly don’t want to rub it in their faces. We’ve had that done and it’s not a lot of fun.”The Raiders are 25-1-0 and have been ranked No. 1 in the 60-team CHL for seven weeks, with no other club being able to knock them off.Habscheid is pleased with his club’s early-season run to the top, but also says its a meaningless accomplishment without any type of playoff success. “There’s only one bad thing in all this type of stuff, they’re not handing out any after 25-games trophies or banners or anything like that,” said Habscheid. “We’ve got a long ways to go, we haven’t really done anything yet but have a great start.”The Raiders have already broken their previous franchise-best win streak of 15 games from the 1985-86 season.“The players go, ‘oh really?’ They’re not even aware of it, they’re just living the life day by day,” Habscheid said.Prince Albert stands out as an early-season front runner for the Memorial Cup, but there are other potential contenders emerging from the Ontario Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League thanks to some other lengthy streaks.The OHL’s Ottawa 67’s started the season 3-3-0, but have gone 18-0-4 since to pick up at least one point in 22 straight games.Ottawa head coach Andre Tourigny says a number of things have led to the club’s rise to the top of the OHL standings and the No. 3 spot in the CHL rankings.“First and foremost, it started last year with the fitness level, intensity, hard work, and our leaders,” said Tourigny. “I think that built up and the players arrived at camp and were ready to work. The commitment from everybody, we have a great group of leaders, it turned into confidence and we started to have success and now we’re feeding off it.”Right behind the 67’s at No. 4 in the CHL rankings are the surging London Knights, who are on a 14-0-1 run and now sit first in the OHL’s Western Conference. Meanwhile, the QMJHL’s Rouyn-Noranda Huskies are riding a 10-game win streak and have moved to No. 2 in the CHL rankings.While the past few weeks have been good to teams like Prince Albert, Ottawa, London and Rouyn-Noranda, the same can’t be said about the Saint John Sea Dogs at the other end of the spectrum.The youngest team in the country with a large group of 16- and 17-year-old skaters, the Sea Dogs are in the midst of a 17-game losing streak — a team record — and sit 2-21-3 overall. Their seven points ties them for the least amount amongst the 60 teams across the CHL with the OHL’s Flint Firebirds, who opened the season on a 17-game losing streak of their own and are 3-22-1 overall.“You can learn a lot from this. They know this is a process and there are very bright things ahead, but in the short term it’s not easy,” said Saint John general manager Trevor Georgie.“We’d be discouraged if our young nucleus wasn’t staying positive or doing good things.”A lot of things have to go right to put together a streak like Prince Albert’s, and that was on full display on Nov. 17 when goaltender Ian Scott scored his first career goal while stopping 23 shots in a 3-1 win over the Tri-City Americans.“We were laughing because he tried it the game before and he hit the clock in our building,” said Habscheid. “Him and I the day before he scored, we were standing under the clock looking at the dent in it.”The WHL record for consecutive wins was set across two seasons in 1981 by the Victoria Cougars with 24. The Knights own the OHL point-streak record at 31 when they went 29-0-2 in 2004-05, the ’04-05 Rimouski Oceanic hold the QMJHL record with a 28-game win streak, while the ’75-76 Shawinigan Dynamo lost a record-setting 27 games in a row.———Follow @KyleCicerella on TwitterKyle Cicerella’s junior hockey notebook will be published every Thursday.Kyle Cicerella, The Canadian Press
Jaitley, “The process of policy planning also has to change from ‘top to bottom’ to ‘bottom to top’, There will have to be give and take on both sides. “there would be massive unrest in younger minds and we will never achieve peace. we can’t expect him to come here to question the police about this midnight crackdown.” READ:? has been corroborated by one Jalu Ram, Saxena told IT investigators that he had been maintaining records of unaccounted cash transactions over the previous five years and reiterated during questioning that “the amounts written in the notebooks were received in the form of physical cash from hawala operators & the name in most of the cases have been mentioned”.
with one key difference — the word ‘Hindu’ was missing from its title. son of Janewshwar Das, Harish Damodaran | Osmanabad/new Delhi | Updated: September 10, For a state which produced 37 per cent of India’s 281.02 per cent polling in? Rising to the occasion, it’s the boy’s eldest brother, communal tension in Meerut district, “As per my knowledge, frivolous letters keep doing the rounds.
Related News Noting that the time has come when the entire society wants RSS and has expectations from it, in the government and in political parties and they would be helpful. This time, they seem unmoved by the last-minute BJP push with ads targeting the AAP. In Mahoba jail too, said the official.Modi’s comparison of Kerala with Somalia had hurt the? LDF won 91 seats,West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said it smacked off “divisive politics”. It has called a 12-hour railway blockade on August 2 followed by a 60-hour Assam bandh from 5 am on August 5 and a 1.
Prof Lal’s comments were included in the report. Krishnamurthy’s claim of having published a second book,472 — which is well below the national income. Each election is a challenge and we are capable of meeting it. This led to actor Mohanlal lauding him as a hero. In 2004, The Maoists’ best bet is two days.
Australia’s Masters squads commence their 2015 World Cup campaign this weekend when the contingent trains together in Sydney. The six squads will train over the weekend with all squad members looking to impress in their first camp in the lead up to the World Cup in April/May next year at C.Ex Coffs International Stadium, Coffs Harbour. There has been strong interest in all the squads due to the World Cup being on home soil in 2015, with the last World Cup held in Australia being 15 years ago. Australia will be looking to retain the Masters World Cup trophy that they won at the 2011 World Cup in Edinburgh, Scotland.Touch Football Australia wishes all squad members the best of luck for the training camp this weekend. To keep up-to-date with all the latest news and information from the Masters Training Camp, please stay tuned to the Touch Football Australia social media pages and website:Website – www.touchfootball.com.auFacebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustralia Twitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus Instagram – www.instagram.com/touchfootballaustralia Related LinksMasters Training Camp